A property company has been found guilty under the Safety Codes Act in last year’s Parsons Creek apartment fire.
The city says Shelter Candian Properties Limited failed to maintain the fire alarm system and will pay a maximum penalty of $15,000.
The fire happened in February 2012 at Parsons Landing at 350 Parsons Creek Drive across from Ecole McTavish and hundreds lost their homes.
Investigators found portions of the alarm system such as horns and strobes were manually turned off and disconnected.
In May, Regional Emergency Services said there isn’t enough evidence to say what the cause of the fire was, though it was narrowed down to either smoking or a propane barbecue.
It laid the charge against Shelter in August 2012.
October 11th, 2013