Scammers in the region have rigged their caller ID to show up as a call from the Wood Buffalo RCMP detachment.
Suspects call victims from the number 780-788-4040 and tell the victim they owe money to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and that has to be paid immediately.
They use high pressure tactics and in some cases threaten the victim.
The RCMP will not make arrests for overdue CRA fines and the CRA will contact you via the secure account online.
Randy Westerman with the CRA said most people know they owe money because they’ll have gotten a Notice of Assessment or a letter requesting payment.
“People aren’t expecting them because they’ve paid and filed their taxes and all of a sudden they’re told their taxes have been reassessed and they owe money.”
He said they don’t send police to arrest anyone for unpaid taxes.
If you receive a similar call follow these steps:
- Don’t trust the phone number or email from the caller.
- Get as much information from them as possible, do not provide any of your information, and tell them you will call them back.
- NEVER share any personal information with the caller, such as confirming your legal name, date of birth, social insurance number, address, etc.
- Do not provide any personal information, and ensure the call has been ended before discussing anything personal.
- Be careful before you click on any links in any email you receive. Some criminals may be using a technique known as phishing to steal your personal information when you click on the link. Shred unwanted documents, or store them in a locked and secure place.
If you believe you may be a victim of fraud contact the RCMP at 780-788-4040.
For more information on scams visit the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre online.