Loading articles...

Teardown of Nakewin Centre ongoing in Conklin

Last Updated Aug 27, 2019 at 3:27 pm MST

A photo of the Nakewin Centre from a flyer published in December 2018. Supplied by the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo.

Demolition of the Nakewin Centre is underway in Conklin.

The community centre was a fixture in the rural hamlet for 25 years.

The facility closed shortly before the opening of the Conklin Multiplex last year.

The Municipality said the overall cost for demolition and remediation is $300,000.

Focal point

Constructed in 1994, the Nakewin Centre housed many of Conklin’s community events.

The Municipality said they recognize the importance of the centre to the town’s history.

The Nakewin Centre staged a number of ceremonies, dinners, children’s events, and even bingo halls.

However, the structure reached the end of its lifecycle.

Moreover, maintaining the centre with upgrades and repairs was not feasible or sustainable.

The Municipality kept residents and community groups informed throughout the process of transitioning to the new multiplex.

When the Conklin Multiplex opened last fall, the Nakewin Centre closed its doors.

Therefore, to ensure public safety, demolition of the centre was the next course of action.

Adam Hardiman, RMWB Communications Strategist, said the entire region can be proud of the new Conklin Multiplex.

“With the support of the community and our partners, including the Regional Recreation Corporation, the Conklin Multiplex can continue to grow as a new, vibrant community gathering, recreational and social activity space of which the community.”

No word yet on the future of the site of the former Nakewin Centre.