Loading articles...

Mayor Scott confident region will respond to COVID-19 challenges

PHOTO. Supplied: Don Scott for Mayor Facebook page.

Mayor Don Scott reacted to confirmation of the first confirmed case of COVID-19 reaching Wood Buffalo.

On March 19, 2020, Alberta Health Services informed a local dentist office of a case of COVID-19 involving a staff member.

The staff member is doing well in self-isolation and showing no symptoms.

In a statement, Mayor Don Scott said he understands residents may feel anxious.

“It is important that our residents remain calm and continue to take the necessary preventative measures. We all have a role to play and it is critical we listen to the public health recommendations to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Our region has faced challenges and uncertainty before and I am confident in our ability to respond.”

He added Wood Buffalo previously faced challenges and uncertainty, and he is confident in the region’s ability to respond.

RMWB Director of Emergency Management, Scott Davis said the Municipality expected and prepared for COVID-19’s presence.

“I know news about a case may be stressful for many community members but I want to assure everyone, that I remain very confident in our preparedness and response. We have been and continue to take aggressive measures to prevent the spread, flatten the curve and protect our community.”

Davis said residents may visit the Government of Alberta website for up-to-date and accurate information on COVID-19 prevention and preparation.