OTTAWA (650 NEWS) — Ontario has recorded 211 new confirmed cases of coronavirus, raising the total number of cases in the province to 1,355.
It marks the first time that the number of new cases has surpassed 200 since reporting began.
There have also been two additional deaths, raising the toll to 21, but provincial health officials provided no additional information.
The province continues to see a decrease in the number of cases currently under investigation. Now there are 7,203 people awaiting test results, down almost 3,000 from Friday’s total.
The province has completed just over 49,000 tests, an increase of almost 8,000 additional tests since Friday. The number of resolved cases remains at eight.
Canada’s chief public health officer Theresa Tam says 205,000 tests for COVID-19 have been conducted in the country, and about three per cent of them have been positive.
She also says the number of people with the disease requiring hospitalization remains around six per cent, with two per cent in critical care and one per cent of cases fatal.
Tam also corrected a statement she made Saturday, saying that 12 per cent of people hospitalized are aged 40 and under. She had previously stated that number was 30 per cent.
Tam says even with the lower number, “this statistic shows that younger age groups are also experiencing illness severe enough to require hospitalization.”