Alberta Wildfire issued a reminder to residents looking to head outdoors for the August long weekend.
The wildfire danger rating is moderate in the Fort McMurray Forest Area.
There is one wildfire, being held 30 kilometres south of Fort Chipewyan, approximately 10 hectares in size.
Since March 1, the agency recorded 18 wildfires in the Fort McMurray Forest Area, including 13 human-caused fires.
To date, the fires burned a total of 275.73 hectares of forest.
Residents should fully extinguish campfires before leaving their site.
- In campgrounds or recreational areas, use the designated stoves, rings, or fire pits.
- Use the same campfire sites as previously used sites.
- Use sites clear of dry grass, bushes, leaves, branches, sticks, tree trunks, and peat moss.
- Build campfires on level ground and sheltered from the wind.
- Ensure there is enough water on hand to extinguish a fire.
Additional information on wildfires is available on the Alberta Wildfire website.