New for the fall, Theatre; Just Because (TJB) announced the launch of its workshop series to develop and empower local artists.
Supported by the Suncor Energy Centre for the Performing Arts (SECPA) and Coldwell Banker Fort McMurray, the series teaches a variety of theatre topics to all ages and experience levels.
Hanna Fridhed is the company’s Artistic Director.
She said live theatre productions face uncertain times amid the pandemic and public health restrictions.
“We are focusing on empowering local artists to take ownership of their work, develop their skills, and explore new ways of creating theatre. Our community is full of creative theatre artists of all experience levels, and we believe this is an opportunity to help each other grow and learn.”
Fridhed said workshops touch on a diverse series of subjects and run from October 2020 to April 2021.
The following is a list of programs in the series.
- How to Record Theatre at Home: Filming performance art at home, basic editing, and social media tips
- An Introduction to Safe Spaces: How to explore themes that may include difficult subject matter, and creating safe spaces for actors and team members
- Self-Producing in YMM with Hanna Fridhed: Two-hour workshop on theatre production, budgeting, and history of theatre in Fort McMurray
- Improv for Adults with Zachary Barrett (18+)
- Costume Design with Lyndsay Dolanksy
- “Unlocking the Body” The Art of Warming Up with Pattie Dwyer: Physical warmup, journaling, and group discussion exercises
- Acting for Film with Jon QPid
- Clowning 101 with Jenn Townsend: Workshop teaching comedic skills
- “Say Yes” Improv for Youth with Zachary Bennett (18 and under)
- Acing the Audition with Hanna Fridhed: Practical tips and tricks for the theatre audition process
- The Art of Drag with Simma Downe: History of drag from the Roman Empire to Rupaul, includes padding, makeup, performance art, comedy, and dance (16+)
- “Safe on Stage” Falling with Brodie Dransutavicius: Two hour workshop teaching the basics of stage acting and stunt choreography
- “Make ’em Laugh” Stand-Up Comedy with Cindy Rivers: The basics of stand-up, including setup, comedic timing, and delivery.
Full details and registration are available on the Theatre; Just Because website.