The Municipality announced the due date for property taxes is Sept. 30, 2020.
Copies of notices for residents and businesses to pay their 2020 balances, which the RMWB mailed in May, are available through the Pulse line.
Starting Oct. 1, the Municipality will apply a three per cent late penalty to any or all outstanding balances from the current year.
It will also apply a two per cent penalty to outstanding balances from previous years.
There are several ways residents and business owners can pay their property taxes.
- Online with a credit card (fees apply)
- Tax Installment Payment Plan (TIPP)
- Paying through a bank or financial institution
- Payment of cash or cheque at the Timberlea Landing Cashiers’ Office on 309 Powder Dr.
- Mail cheque to The Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo Assessment and Taxation Office, 3rd Floor – 9909 Franklin Avenue, Fort McMurray AB, T9H 2K4
RMWB Council approved the deferral of property tax payments from the original due date of July 1, 2020, due to the effects of COVID-19 and the Spring Flood.
Small businesses in Wood Buffalo’s rural hamlets may apply for the Rural Non-Residential Small Business Tax Class program.
Eligible businesses that qualify may receive a 25 per cent reduction from the municipal rural non-residential tax rate.
The RMWB will accept applications until Dec. 31, 2020, and small businesses must apply each year after that.
“Successful applicants will receive a credit on their account or reimbursement by cheque, if the application is approved after the tax payment deadline.”
Taxes are still due Sept. 30, 2020, regardless of application status.
More information about notices and tax information is available through Pulse at (780) 743-7000 or 1-800-973-9663, or the Municipality’s website.