Loading articles...

Alberta removes local restaurant, Syncrude site from COVID-19 outbreak list

Last Updated Oct 2, 2020 at 6:21 pm MST

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau listens to a question during a news conference on the COVID-19 pandemic on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, on Friday, Sept. 25, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang

Alberta reported six new cases and three recovered cases of COVID-19 in the RMWB

All are in Fort McMurray, which has 49 active cases, one death, and 226 resolved cases of the illness inside the urban service area.

Outside the urban service area, there are still three active cases and 64 recovered cases of COVID-19.

RELATED: More healthcare workers in isolation, additional death reported in Foothills outbreaks

The province also removed Fort McMurray’s Earls Kitchen and Bar location and Syncrude’s Aurora site from its list of outbreak locations.

Located on Morrison Street, the downtown restaurant first reported ties to a case in late August.

READ MORE: Earls working with AHS after six employees test positive for COVID-19

Alberta previously said it removes locations from its COVID-19 watch list if they have no new cases after four weeks.

CNRL’s Albian, Suncor Base Plant, and Syncrude’s Mildred Lake site remain on the province’s watch list.

Across Alberta, there are 122 new cases, 157 recoveries, and three additional deaths of COVID-19.

Health officials conducted 13,379 tests for COVID-19 in the last 24 hours with a positivity rate of 0.91 per cent.

64 Albertans are in hospital receiving treatment with 15 in intensive care.

Alberta has 1558 active cases, 272 deaths, and 16,527 recovered cases of the infection.

835 active cases are in the Edmonton Zone.

Border restrictions

The federal government will prepare to loosen restrictions on who can come into Canada.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said the government has listened to heartbreaking stories of families being kept apart and realizes there must be some compassion.

A trio of federal ministers is set to unveil new exemptions to the current restrictions.

Canada first closed its borders to all but a shortlist of essential workers in the spring in a bid to slow the spread of COVID-19.

While some family members of citizens or permanent residents have since been allowed into the country, many others are not on the list of approved travellers.

But Trudeau said foreign visitors make up a tiny fraction of the current COVID-19 caseload, and the more that is learned about how to best prevent further spread, the more the government is able to adjust restrictions.

This article includes excerpts from The Canadian Press.