RCMP in Lac La Biche announced officers have arrested a Fort McMurray man wanted on a nationwide warrant for a parole breach.
On May 13, 2023, at 2:50 a.m., police responded to a complaint of a suspicious vehicle parked in a back alley.
Officers spotted a man slumped behind the wheel along with a prohibited firearm in the passenger seat.
Investigators later determined the suspect vehicle was stolen from Fort McMurray earlier that week.
As officers attempted to make an arrest, the man awoke and drove away in the stolen vehicle.
RCMP along with officers from Fort McMurray pursued the vehicle north of Lac La Biche on logging roads, and with assistance from an RCMP place they found the vehicle abandoned.
Police Dog Services from Wood Buffalo and St. Paul also assisted in the search, and the male suspect was found and taken into custody.
A 33-year-old man from Fort McMurray, who police say is wanted on a Canada wide warrant for “being unlawfully at large on a parole breach”, is additionally charged with the following:
- Flight from Peace Officer
- Dangerous operation of motor vehicle
- Operate motor vehicle while prohibited
- Fail to remain at scene of accident
- Mischief damage to property over $5000
- Possession stolen property over $5000
- Obstruct Peace Officer
- Unsafe storage of firearm
- Possession of a firearm in motor vehicle
- Possession of firearm knowing possession is unauthorized
- Four counts of Possession firearm contrary to court order
- Possession weapon dangerous purpose
He’s scheduled to appear in court in Lac La Biche on May 29, 2023.