Community members evacuated from Fort Chipewyan due to a nearby wildfire will be returning to their homes.
In a joint release, Alberta Wildfire said the southern perimeter of the Rocky River Fire is “100 per cent” controlled.
On its online wildfire map, the agency listed the wildfire tagged MWF-025 as being held, as of June 19.
The RMWB said the evacuation order remains in place, and will be lifted once essential services are in place for residents returning home.
“Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation, Mikisew Cree First Nation, Fort Chipewyan Métis Nation and the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, along with many other agencies are working closely together on the re-entry plan.”
Alberta Wildfire issued the evacuation order for over 800 residents of the hamlet on May 30, 2023.
The Municipality said essential services will be restored by June 22 and the public can then begin to return home.
Vulnerable residents will return on June 24.
Detailed plans for re-entry are available on its website.
Steady rain across the province has helped Alberta Wildfire crews battle 74 active wildfires.
The Rocky River Fire is 60,568.36 hectares in size.
Last week, Chief Allan Adam of the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation had said there is no set date for when residents can return, but plans are in place for when the time comes.
-With files from The Canadian Press